Sunday, January 29, 2017

The Buddhaguna Chant

The Advantages of Chanting Buddhaguna
Author: Phra Dhamsinghaburajarn. English version by Dr. Suchitra Ronruen (Rajbhat Institute Dhonburi, Issaraparb Rd, Bangkok 10600)


An Approval
Chanting the holy stanzas is the way of life. A person who chants every day
will be good and prosperous. He will be able to share this merit to his friends
and to all beings.May you and your family members chants every day for your
well-being, rich of fortune, happinese and wisdom.You should advise your children
to chant every night before they go to bed. If they do this with firm faith, these
benefits should be expected they are:They will have good discipline.
They won't argue with their parents but will be obedient and respectful.
When they are grown up, they will be good members of society as well
as good citizens of the nation.He who chants every day will lead a good,
prosperous, rich, smart and intellectual life. He will get all good things he wishes.

Congratulation!
Phra Dhamsinghaburajarn.


The Advantages of Chanting Buddhaguna
Buddhagume (worshipping the Enlightened one), I have discovered what when some people are foretold by a fortune-teller that they have bad luck and something should be done to eradicate that bad luck. With the help of mindfulness, a thought arises in my mind that it's much better to chant Buddhaguna than to get advice from a fortune-teller. I then tell my disciples to follow this idea and it works well.

The chanting begins with Namo tassa bhagavato..., Refuges, Buddhaguna, Dhammaguna, Sanghaguna, Bahum and Mahakaruniko. After that, chant only Buddhaguna as many times as your age plus one. Suppose you are 40, then chant Buddhaguna 41 times and if you are 35, then chant Buddhaguna 36 times.

There was a fifty-one-year-old Christian widow who was a millionairess and had only one son. This widow possessed lots of lands in Lad Prao and Klong San-sab. Her son was not keen in learning and she sent him to study in U.S.A. The son was not interested in his studies. He spent three years there as a playboy and often wrote to his mother to send him money, lying to her that he nearly finished his studies. From time to time, the son deceived his mother to send him one hundren thousand, then five hundren thousand and so on.

The mother did not know what to do, she then went to a fortune-teller to have him ridden her of her bad luck. She paid lots of money to the fortune-teller, hoping that he would help her son to finish his studies. She also went to other fortune-tellers but none of them could solver her problem though she had paid them a lot. She was very nervous and could neither eat nor sleep.


Fortunately, a man from Singburi who was one of her employees knew and asked for my help. At that time I didn't know that she was a Christian and when I saw her face I knew that her son would finish his M.A. and would continue a Ph. D. But why couldn't he finish his B.A., I wondered.

I suggested to her to chant Buddhaguna 52 times every night but she said she couldn't because she was a Christian. That day she left the monastery hopeless.

She came back again after four or five months had passed. This time she came alone and confessed that "Luang Poh, I will follow your advice." I then told her to buy a chant book but she refused. Her reason was that any Christian could not keep the chant book in the house. She requested me to write the words of the chant to her. I had to write the chant words of Buddhaguna, Dhammaguna, Sanghaguna, Bahum and Mahaka for her. She still said, "I can't chant in the chanting hall because I am not a Buddhist." I suggested that she could chant in her bed by counting pieces of matches for the 52 times of chanting. Having finished chanting she should transfer merit to her son. I forbade her to scold him and suggested that she must wish him happinese and success in his studies.

For three months she had followed my suggestion. She could remember all the words she chanted and there were two advantages she got.

First, her nervousness had gone. She became mindful and could eat and sleept. When she was happy, she began to transfer merit to her son in U.S.A. After six months of chanting, the son got that merit. The day he got it he had a serious accident. The car he was driving crashed on the electric distribution pole. His friends who sat in the back seat were thrown out of the car but none of them got hurt. Only he who was in the car, was hurt. The electric distribution pole had fallen down (and he had to pay lots of money for this accident). The driver was unconscious and was sent to the ICU room. Fortunately, one of his cousins was a doctor in U.S.A.. He came to see him at the hospital. The doctors reported to the cousin that the patient should be dead.

On the following day, he became conscious and felt seriously hurt. Tears filled his eyes when he thought of his mother. I notice that when someone is in trouble, he usually thinks of his mother but when he is happy with his friends, the mother is absolutely forgotten.

Secondly, the son missed his mother a lot. He was sorry that how unhappy would she be if she had known that her son did not finish his studies. He then determined that he would try to finished his studies as soon as he recovered.

Finally, he came back to Thailand and his mother brought him to meet me. He revealed what happened to him. After he had got well, he chanted every day and also went to practise vipassana meditation at Thai Temple in U.S.A. He could finish his B.A. as well as an M.A. and I knew that he would finish his Ph.D. in the future.

I then conclude that whenever someone is in trouble, he will think of his mother and perceive the Dhamma. That widow's son said to me "Venerable sir, I never missed my mother during three or four years while I was in U.S.A.. But when I was in hospital, I missed her so much." The mother hold her son that it was I who helped him. He then had faith in me and I told him if he believed me, he should have his hair cut because he wore long hair. He went immediately to Singburi to have his hair cut. I then postulate that when someone is in bad luck, he should chant Buddhaguna.


When I met Somdech Phra Banaratana of Wat Pa Kaew

One night I dreamt that I went somewhere and met a monk wearing a very old triple robe, the appearance and bearing appropriate to a monk. I saw that he was a senior monk, I then paid respect to him. He stood in front of me saying:

I am Somdech Phra Banaratana of Wat Pa Kaew of Ayudhaya. I want you to go to Wat Yai Chaimongkol to see my inscription that I engraved for blessing King Naret the Great of Thailand, on the occasion of the finish of Triumph Pagoda construction. This Triumph Pagoda was built to celebrate King Naret the Great since he triumphed over King Maha Uparaja of Burma and liberated Thailand from Burma for the first time. When you see my inscription, make a note of it and spread it to others. It is time you must know this.

In the dream I accepted his order and he told me where the inscription was kept in the Pagoda. I reflected about my dream and thought that I was mindful all the time and such untrue dreams could not be happening to me. I had been informed the same day that the Fine Arts Department would finish restoring that pagoda and the scaffolding would be pulled down.

I went to the pagoda and climbed up to the top to find way to the bottom. There was a scaffolding and I was determined to climb down though it was very dangerous. If I fell down from the scaffolding, it meant that my life would cease to be. Acount 9.00am I climbed down to the bottom of the pagoda with a flashlight in my hand and saw what Somdech Phra Banaratana had told me in the dream.

I has just realised that the inscription he told me was in fact the chant called Bahum Mahaka, a well-known chant.

The end of the inscription was written: "I am Somdech Phra Banaratana of Wat Pa Kaew of Ayudhaya. I engraved this inscription to bless King Naret the Great." The Bahum Mahaka is the chant consisting of Buddhaguna, Dhammaguna, Sanghaguna, Bahum that begins with Bahum Sahassa..to Duggahaditthi till Mahakaruniko natho hitaya and ends with Bhavatu sabba mangalam... Sabba Buddha Subba Dhama, Sabba Sanghanu bhavena sada sotthi bhavantu te. I called this chant Bahum Mahaka.

I then understood at that moment that Bahum Mahaka was composed by Somdech Phra Banaratana of Wat Pa Kaew, presented to King Naret so that the king should chant daily especially during war time. It appeared that King Naret never lost the war but won every time even though he was alone with his brother among thousands of Burmese soldiers in the war, but the Burmese still couldn't catch neither he nor his brother because of the protection of this chant.

After I had found what was in my dream, I climbed up with great relief. I spent nearly three hours at the bottom of the pagoda. My body was dusty and covered with spider-webs. I nun saw me and asked in a loud voice, "Luang Poh, did you enter that cave?" But I said nothing. Since then, I have taught this chant to my disciples. Why? Because this chant is the most valuable and it gives the greatest benefits since it comes from the eight hymns of the Buddha's glorious triumphs that He had conquered Mara, Alavaka yakkha, the elephant Nalagiri, the robber Angulimala, the woman named Cinca, the mendicant Saccaka, Nandopananda Naga and Baka, the brahma god. The victories the Enlightened One got was because of his Perfections. One who recites and recollects these right hymns will be prosperous and mindful. If he dies mindfully, he will be born in Happy States.

I wish that everybody chant this Bahum Mahaka every day to proect himself as well as his family. If all citizens chant, then our country will be prosperous and ignorant people will disappear from our society.

Not only did King Naret the Great get advantages because of this chant, but King Tak Sin the Great also got these advantages. There was an ancient memorandum telling this:
"When King Tak Sin the Great conquered Chandaburi, he realized that this war would be serioud and would last long. He then ordered his soldiers to make the flag like that of Ayudhaya's and invited senior monks to chant this Bahum Mahaka and he himself followed in King Naret's footsteps and finally could succeed in liberating Thailand from Burma."

May every household chant this Bahum Mahaka for prosperity.


How to Chant (Method of Chanting)
Begin with Homage -Jaya Mangala Gatha -The Victory Protection. only one chant. Then chant Itipiso (as many times as your age plus one). After that, chant the aspiration, the follow by the transference of merit. When you finish this, you can make whatever wish you want.


******************************************************

Vandanā
Namo tassa Bhagavato Arahato Sammā-sambuddhassa
(Repeat Thrice)


Tri-Sarana
Buddhan saranan gacchāmi
Dhamman saranan gacchāmi
Sanghan saranan gacchāmi


Dutiyampi Buddhan saranan gacchāmi
Dutiyampi Dhamman saranan gacchāmi
Dutiyampi Sanghan saranan gacchāmi


Tatiyampi Buddhan saranang gacchāmi
Tatiyampi Dhamman saranan gacchāmi
Tatiyampi Sanghan saranan gacchāmi



Itipi so Bhagavā Arahang
Sammāsambuddho vijjā carana- sampanno
Sugato Lokavidū Anuttaro
Purisadamma -sārathi satthā
Devamanussanan Buddho Bhagavāti


Svākkhāto Bhagavatā Dhammo
Sanditthiko Akāliko Ehipassiko Opanayiko
Paccattan veditabbo viññūhī ti


Supatipanno Bhagavato sāvakasangho
Ujupatipanno Bhagavato sāvakasangho
Ñāyapatipanno Bhagavato sāvakasangho
Sāmīcipatipanno Bhagavato sāvakasangho


Yadidang cattāri purisa yugāni
Attha purisa puggalā
Esa Bhagavato sāvakasangho
Āhuneyyo Pāhuneyyo Dakkhineyyo Añjalīkaranīyo
Anuttaran Puññak khettang lokassāti


Jaya Mangala Gāthā
Bāhung sahassa mabhi nimmita sāvu dhantan
Gīri mekhalan udita hora sasena māran
Dānādi dhamma vidhinā jitavā Munindo
Tam tejasā bhavatu me jaya mangalāni


Mārāti reka 'mabhi yujjhita sabba ratting
Ghoran panālavaka makkha mathaddha yakkhang
Khantī sudanta vidhinā jitavā Munindo
Tam tejasā bhavatu me jaya mangalāni


Nālāgirin gaja varam ati matta bhūtan
Dāvaggi cakka' masanīva sudāru nantang
Mettambu seka vidhinā jitavā Munindo
Tam tejasā bhavatu me jaya mangalāni


Ukkhitta- khagga matihattha sudāru nantan
Dhāvan ti yojana patham'Gulimāla vantam
Iddhībhi sankhata mano jitavā Munindo
Tam tejasā bhavatu me jaya mangalāni


Katvāna kattha' mudaram iva gabbhi nīyā
Ciñcāy a duttha vacanang janakāya majjhe
Santena soma vidhinā jitavā Munindo
Tam tejasā bhavatu me j aya mangalāni



Saccam vihāya matisaccaka vāda ketum
Vādā bhiropita m anang ati andhabhūtam
Paññā pa jalito jitavā Munindo
Tam tejasā bhavatu me jaya mangalāni


Nanopananda bhujagam vibudhang mahiddhim
Puttena thera bhujagena damapayanto
Iddhūpadesa vidhinā jitavā Munindo
Tam tejasā bhavatu me jaya mangalāni


Duggāha ditthi bhujagena sudattha hattham
Brahmam visuddhi juti m'iddha bakā bhidhānam
Ñānā gadena vidhinā jitavā Munindo
Tam tejasā bhavatu me jaya mangalāni


Etā pi Buddha jaya mangala attha gāthā
Yo vācako dina dine sarate matandi
Hitvāna neka vividhāni c’upaddavāni
Mokkham sukham adhi gameyya naro sapañño



Jayaparittam (The Victory Protection)
Mahā kāruniko nātho hitāya sabba pāninang
Pūretvā pārami sabbā patto sambodhi muttamam
Etena sacca vajena hotu te jaya mangalang
Jayanto bodhiyā mūle sak yānam nandi vaddhano
Evam tvam vijayo hohi jayassu jaya mangale
Aparā jita pallanke sīse patha vipokkhare
Abiseke sabba buddhānam aggappatto pamodati
Sunak khattam sumangalam supabhātam suhutthitam
Sukhano sumuhutto ca suyittham brahmma cārīsu
Padakkhinam kāya kammam vācā kammam padakkhinam
Padakkhinam mano kammam panidhī te padakkhinā
Padakkhināni katvāna labhantatthe padakhine.
Bhavatu sabba mangalam-rakkhantu sabba devatā
sabba Buddhānu bhāvena-sadā sotthī bhavantu te,
bhavantu sabba mangalanm-rakkhantu sabba devatā
sabba Dhammānu bhāvena-sadā sotthī bhavantu te,
bhavatu sabba mangalam-rakkhantu sabba devatā
sabba Sanghānu bhāvena-sadā sotthī bhavantu te.

You Tube : Jaya Mangala Gāthā & Jayaparittam (The Victory Protection) Chanting




Itipiso
Iti piso Bhagavā Araham
Sammāsambuddho vijjā carana sampanno
Sugato Lokavidū
Anuttaro Purisadamma- sārathi satthā
Devamanussanang
Buddho Bhagavāti
(Repeat this chant as many times as your age plus one.)



Mettā bhāvanā
Sabbe sattā sukhī hontu
Averā hontu
Abbayā pajjhā hontu
Anīghā hontu
Sukhī attānam pariharantu


Pattidāna
Idam me mātāpitūnang hotu sukhitā hontu mātāpitaro
Idang me ñātinam hotu sukhitā hontu ñātayo
Idam me gurūpajjhāyā cariyā nam hotu sukhitā hontu gurūpajjhāyā cariyā
Idam sabba devānam hotu sukhitā hontu sabbe devā
Idam sabba petānam hotu sukhitā hontu sabbe petā
Idam sabba verīnam hotu sukhitā hontu sabbe verī
Idam sabba sattānam hotu sukhitā hontu sabbe sattā

No comments:

Post a Comment